About Life Lab
Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
Drawing on over thirty-five years of work with young people in gardens, Life Lab, is a national leader in the garden-based learning movement. Through workshops and consultations, we have provided tens of thousands of educators across the country with the inspiration and information necessary to engage young people in gardens and on farms. Our workshops and award-winning publications are the go-to resource for educators and families interested in engaging young people in gardens. At the Life Lab Garden Classroom educational center in Santa Cruz and the Blooming Classroom garden in Watsonville, we promote experiential learning for people of all ages through field trips, children's camps, and teacher workshops.
Click to Learn More:
Life Lab History
It all started in 1979 with a team of inspired teachers, some open land outside a classroom, and a vision. Since the first Life Lab school garden was created at Green Acres Elementary School in Santa Cruz, CA, Life Lab has continuously engaged young people in gardens and taught others to do the same. View a timeline of our history documented on our blog.
Recognition for Life Lab
Life Lab has won numerous awards and has been acclaimed by the following groups and individuals, among others:
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Science Foundation
- National Science Resources Center/Smithsonian Institute
- California School Board Association
- U.S. Department of Education
- National Academy of Sciences
- U.S. Congressional Record
- California Senator Bruce McPherson
- United Way Family Friendly Workplace
- Santa Cruz Education Foundation
- Santa Cruz City Council
- National Parenting Publications Awards
- Independent Publisher Book Awards
- Parents' Choice Book Awards
For media inquiries, contact John Fisher, Outreach Director – email@example.com or 831.471.7831(cell)