Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education Workshop
The Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education (GENE) workshop is for California educators interested in using existing school gardens to enhance nutrition education for children and youth. In this FREE workshop, we share:
- activities and tips for making nutrition education hands-on, edible, engaging and effective
- tips for eating from the garden
- crop planning information for an edible harvest
- strategies for implementing GENE programs
Activities will be drawn from curricula for grades K-7, and can be adapted for grades 8-12.
The California School Garden Training Program is awaiting notification of additional funds to offer more free and low cost school garden trainings. Currently there are no CSGT sponsored workshops being offered.
CSGT Workshop Notification List to be notified of future CSGT workshop announcements and locations.
View other school garden workshops at the CSGN.org calendar. View upcoming Life Lab workshops at The Garden Classroom at www.lifelab.org/gcworkshops
View Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education Resources at www.csgn.org/gene
Agenda 9am – 4pm (may vary slightly by location)
- 9:00 Taste the Difference: Comparative Taste Test
- Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education: An Overview
- My Plate, My Garden Lesson
- Harvesting and Eating from the Garden: One-Bite Lessons
- Cooking with Kids: Bulgur Salad
- 12:15 Lunch (Bring Your Own)
- Edible Education in Action Presentation
- Eat A Rainbow Lesson
- Theme Gardens and Edible Crop Planning
- Making Your Program Work
3:30 Closure, Evaluations
- Recognize how garden-enhanced nutrition education promotes the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy lifestyles.
- Understand how to use an edible garden to engage young people in hands-on nutrition education activities.
- Learn tools and strategies for involving children and youth in safe food handling and preparation in a garden, kitchen, or classroom.
- Learn how to plan for an edible harvest.
- Become familiar with resources related to garden-enhanced nutrition education.
- Network with others involved in garden-enhanced nutrition education around relevant topics, such as funding, policy, and best practices.
Join the CSGT Workshop Notification List to be notified of future CSGT workshop announcements and locations.
Training partners include Life Lab, UC Davis Children's Garden Program, and The Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County, all in collaboration with the California School Garden Network.
Learn more about the California School Garden Training Program. This program has been funded by a California Department of Food and Agriculture Specialty Crop Block Grant.