Supporting English Learners in Science
4th-8th grade teachers
Location and Cost Options
* Life Lab's Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus: $150/participant. 1 unit of semester credit available per day.
* Your school site: $1,500/day plus travel for 1 trainer. 25 participant maximum. 1 unit of semester credit available per day.
This one-day workshop, taught by Monterey Bay Science Project director Joyce Hill, is designed for 4th-8th grade teachers of English Learners. Science content and process skills provide an excellent opportunity for students to develop their English language skills. Using science lessons based on current grade level standards, we will discuss effective strategies for creating reading, writing, listening and speaking opportunities for your students.
- How to build on science lessons that will help develop English language skills.
- English Learner strategies that work well in your science program.
- Planning a science lesson that supports student understanding and academic language.
- Strategies for integrating more opportunities for reading, writing, listening and speaking into your science lessons.
- Tools for designing a science/EL lesson.
- Ideas on modifying existing your science/ELD program.