Curriculum & Online Lessons
Academic Content Standards in Garden-Based Learning
Educator Workshops & Consulting
Starting a School Garden
School Gardening Resources in Spanish
Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education Resources (GENE) – an extensive list of resources used in our Plant It, Grow It, Eat It and California School Garden Training Program
Garden to Cafeteria
Outdoor Classroom Management Tips
The Value of Garden-Based Learning
Life Lab's Photo Gallery of School Garden Elements
Life Lab's YouTube Video Channel – over 40 videos demonstrating garden instruction, activity and Life Lab history.
Funding Your Garden Program
Regional Support Models
Garden-Based Learning Resources in Spanish
Created by Life Lab
- Life Lab Science K-5 Garden-Based Science Curriculum, The Growing Classroom Activity Guide, Kids' Garden Activity Cards, and more at the Life Lab Store.
- View lessons, videos, and activities posted on the Life Lab blog.
- 1st -4th Grade Science Exploration Units These downloadable units are the lessons we share as part of our Science Exploration Field Trip Program
- Garden Scavenger Hunts A collection of different types of scavenger hunts that you can modify for your needs.
- "Back Pocket" Activity Videos easy to set up garden activities every garden teacher should have in their back pocket.
- View School Garden Lessons taught by veteran garden instructors at school gardens in Santa Cruz.
Other great sites to find lessons
- California School Garden Network Online Lesson Database Free resources for PreK-6th Grades and resources for Middle and High School Level.- a list, maintained by Life Lab, of hundreds of lessons from other garden-based education organizations (Have a site to add? send it on)
- Kidsgardening.org – a great site and newsletter of lessons, activities, and more, check out their GBL book matrix to find just the right publication
- The Edible Schoolyard Research and Tool Search Function has user submitted lessons
Garden-Based Learning Literature Lists
- American Horticulture Society/Jr. Master Gardeners Growing Good Kids Book List
- Super Kids Nutrition Book Review Corner – list of nutrition related literature
- USDA's Agriculture in the Classroom – a searchable database, search for "book" media for literature resources
- California Ag In the Classroom Bookshelf
- Harvest of the Month Literature Links
- Life Lab's list of literature books that are displayed at workshops
Life Lab Educator Workshops page lists all the workshops we provide
Life Lab offers consulting for your school garden team at your site or at our Garden Classroom
The California School Garden Network's Event Calendar - view workshops across California
Life Lab's School Garden Promoters Toolbox lists school garden regional support networks across the nation
Life Lab's Getting Started
- Purchase or download Life Lab's Getting Started: A Guide for Creating School Gardens as Outdoor Classrooms. Also available in Spanish.
Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden Resources
- Created by Life Lab and partners, the CSYSG training materials consist of handouts, presentations, and videos to help others start and sustain school gardens. View the Planning Your School Garden Program page for more resources on starting and running our your program such as How to Grow a School Garden: A Complete Guide for Parents and Teachers by Arden Bucklin-Sporer and Rachel Kathleen Pringle.
Developed by Life Lab and partners, The Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden workshop pages are the place to find school garden skills support resources.
Keep It Growing Water, Weeds and Pest Control
Sustaining Your School Garden- Article from The Garden Times, Spring 2002
Summer Vacation for Your Garden- Article from the Garden Times, Spring 2003
Check our blog posts on Garden Tips and Resources
The Garden, A Master Teacher An excellent essay on the many benefits of garden-based learning.
Benefits of Gardening for Children from the University of Colorado
More benefits of Garden-Based Learning are documented on Cornell's Garden-Based Learning site
View our article on Funding Garden Coordinators.
Head over to the California School Garden Network to view their Funding School Gardens page for grant searching resources and more grant lists and much more.