Educator Resources for Teaching About Seeds
- A Handful of Seeds: Seed-Saving and Seed Study for Educators – free download with practical information on seed saving in the school garden and seed history and lore.
- Fedco Seeds has multiple seed fundraising opportunities. Additionally they have a free seed activity guide book From Generation to Generation An Activity Guidebook in the Living Tradition of Seed Saving
- Seed to Seed Food Gardens in Schools A guide book on edible school gardens with a chapter devoted to saving seeds ($20). Created by the Australian organization Seedsavers.net View table of contents
- Download this simple template
- More templates to cut and glue your own envelopes – Very Basic Template, Fancy Folding Instructions
- Origami seed envelopes
- More fun ways to make envelopes
- We purchase and use coin envelopes like these.
Learn more about saving seeds
- Savy Seed Saving basic introduction to saving seed from the National Gardening Association. Search their site for other seed saving resources.
- Seed saving and planting details on hundreds of plants at Seed Savers Exchange.
- Vegetable Seed Saving Online Handbook lots of good details
- International Seed Saving Institute good details, glossary of terms and more
- A Seed Saving Guide for Farmers and Gardeners from Organic Seed Alliance, a very detailed free downloadable guidebook on seed saving.
- Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners [Paperback, $17] By Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy. One of the best books out there on seed saving.
- Introduction to Seed Saving Webinar by Shannon Carmody, Seed Savers Exchange
Learn about Deadheading Flowers which is a great task to do when saving seeds: