Kids of all ages can tear kale leaves and massage the kale along with avocado and lemon to make this tasty treat! Ages 4+ 30 minutes
2 bunches of Kale, such as Dino, Red Russian, etc., torn into bite sized pieces
4 Tbsp. of Lime or Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Optional: various garden herbs, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces
- Wash hands really well!
- Put the torn kale into a large bowl or Ziploc bag.
- Close bag and have kids take turns massaging the bag of kale while the rest of the recipe is created. This helps to enhance kale flavor and palatability. Massage till kale turns a bright green.
- Roughly chop up the avocado and sprinkle pieces over the kale. Mush the avocado onto the kale using your hands (or in bag) and continue to massage the kale until the avocado is evenly dispersed.
- Add the lime juice and sprinkle the salt onto the kale. Add garden herbs if you’d like.
- Massage for the last time and serve. Enjoy!
Tearing, squeezing, smashing and tossing … this recipe has so many steps that kids love! After tearing kale leaves into small pieces, add the leaves and a handful of other ingredients into a Ziploc bag, seal it up, and smash, smash, smash. We even tossed the bag back and forth! Once the kale is bright green and tenderized, you can pour it into a bowl and decorate with edible flowers or flavor it with herbs from the garden. I suggested sprinkling calendula petals over the top of ours, but my son wanted to put one big flower in the middle and let people sprinkle their own, which worked just as well and made him even more excited to eat it.