Life Lab offers garden-based field trips for preschool through middle school students in the Garden Classroom on the UCSC CASFS Farm.
Seeds of Wonder Preschool & Kindergarten Field Trips take place on Wednesdays, April-June and October-November.
Spring Science Exploration Field Trips for 1st-4th grades. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, mid-April through mid-June.
Fall Farm to Fork Field Trips for 1st grade – middle school. Mondays & Tuesdays, September through mid-November.
Winter Feeling Fine with Fresh Food Nutrition Field Trips for 3rd-5th grades. Tuesdays and Thursdays, January-March.
View field trip visitor information (confirmation materials, parking information, daily agenda)
Seeds of Wonder Preschool & Kindergarten Field Trips: A Hands-on Exploration of the Garden Classroom
This 90 minute seasonal program is geared toward 3 1/2 – 6 year olds. Programs focus on hands-on exploration of the garden, songs, stories, and opportunities for discovery.
- Visit our vegetable garden to harvest and eat garden treats
- Collect leaves, make leaf prints, and celebrate the falling leaves
- Visit our pumpkin patch, read a pumpkin story and taste pumpkin seeds
- Meet our friendly hens, find out what they do for us in the garden and peek into their nesting boxes to search for eggs
- Classes take home post-visit activity ideas for teachers
- A soil discovery station, where students use their senses to explore a variety of soils and search for worms in the soil
- A seed sorting and planting station, where students investigate garden seeds and plant seeds in root view cups to bring back to the classroom
- A visit with our friendly hens, along with a discussion of what they do for us in the garden and peek in the nest boxes to search for eggs
- An exploration of our garden wildlife, to find insects, lizards, and birds that make their home in the garden
- Classes take home post-visit activity ideas for teachers and root view seed cups for classroom observation
Wednesdays, 9:00-10:30, $100/class (payment required 3 weeks in advance of field trip date), one class maximum per visit (20-30 students), $4 per car parking fee, scholarships available.
For 1st through 4th graders. We are in the process of bringing our Spring Science Exploration field trips in line with NGSS, and some content is still being developed. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Thanks!
All programs include:
- Garden-based science exploration stations
- A hands-on exploration of the UCSC Farm
- Visiting with our chickens and observational bee hive
Pondering Plants – Grade 1 Come explore the garden and discover how different types of roots and leaves help the plant grow and survive.
Garden Pollinators – Grade 2 Birds, butterflies, and other creatures are essential visitors to the garden. Come explore the relationships between plants and pollinators and learn how they depend on each other.
Life Cycles in the Garden – Grade 3 Come investigate life cycles in the garden, where we can find plants and animals in all ages & stages! From seed to sunflower, egg to butterfly and back again, we’ll look into how life cycles work.
Fabulous Functions – Grade 4 Dig into photosynthesis, plant and animal parts and how they help these living things survive.
Field Trips are available Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday, mid-April through early June. Field trips begin at 10 a.m. and end at 1 p.m. $180/class (payment required 3 weeks advance of field trip date), 1 class maximum per visit (20-30 students), $4 per car parking fee, Scholarships available. Make a field trip reservation.
For 1st grade through middle school students. This program helps students to make the important connection between farms and the food on their dinner table. All participating teachers will receive pre- and post-visit lessons related to our local food system.
Farm to Fork Field Trips include:
Hands-on Exploration of the 25-acre UCSC Farm
- Explore a organic flower and vegetable farm
- Harvest and sample the six plant parts—roots, stems, leaves, flowers, fruits & seeds
- Participate in apple investigations and tastings in the orchard
- Gain an appreciation for the different varieties & uses of corn
Activities in the Garden Classroom
- Harvest celebration, where students make and taste corn tortillas & apple cider
- Visiting chickens, honey bees, composting worms, and other garden learning sites
Field Trips are available Monday & Tuesday, early September through mid-November.
Field trips begin at 10:00 a.m. and end at 1:15 p.m.
$180/class (payment required 3 weeks advance of field trip date), One class maximum per visit (20-30 students), $4 per car parking fee, Scholarships available. Make a field trip reservation.
Winter Feeling Fine with Fresh Food Nutrition & Cooking Field Trips For Third, Fourth & Fifth Graders
For third, fourth, and fifth grade students. This program helps students to make the important connection between their health and the foods they choose. The activities prepare students to make informed decisions about what they eat. All participating teachers receive a packet of pre- and post-visit lessons to extend the learning into the classroom.
Field Trips Include:
Nutrition Activities in the Garden Classroom
- Find out how eating a rainbow of fruits & vegetables keeps our body systems working
- Learn how to create a balanced meal or snack
- Harvest and cook “Stone Soup” and enjoy it with your lunch
Hands-on Exploration of the 25 acre UCSC Farm
- Explore an organic vegetable and flower farm
- Discuss the seasonality of food
- Learn about the value of eating fresh and local
Field Trips Available: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., January through March. $180/class (payment required 3 weeks advance of field trip date), One class maximum per visit (20-30 students), $4 per car parking fee, Scholarships available. Make a field trip reservation.