Location and Cost Options
* Life Lab's Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus: $150/participant.
* Your school site: $1,800/day plus travel expenses and $50/hour in travel time for 1 trainer. 25 participant maximum.
A school garden provides a rich, living, outdoor context in which students can explore and apply fundamental science skills. Learn to inspire curiosity and enthusiasm in your students as you lead effective inquiry investigations in your schoolyard or garden, based on the current content standards.
Key Workshop Components
- How to teach and reinforce basic science concepts in a school garden.
- A science inquiry model that can be adapted for use in almost any context.
- The Life Lab approach to learning.
- How to make outdoor, inquiry-based education work for different student populations.
Take Home …
- A copy of The Growing Classroom for your classroom use.
- Ideas on modifying garden lessons to develop more science concepts through inquiry.
- Optional: 1 unit of semester credit available per day.