Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education Workshop
Anyone interested in or involved in using gardening and cooking to encourage healthy eating for students in grades K-8
Location and Cost Options
Life Lab's Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus: $150/$180 per participant – See dates and registration deadlines for upcoming workshops
Make the connection from seed to table in this fun and delicious workshop. Using tried-and-true Life Lab lessons and recipes for grades K-8, participants explore effective ways to teach nutrition and encourage kids to eat more fruits and vegetables through gardening, harvesting and meal preparation. We offer a Fall and Spring version of this workshop. 1 semester unit of graduate education credit available.
Sample Workshop Agenda
- How to lead highly engaging, hands-on nutrition lessons and activities in a garden setting.
- How to link gardening and cooking activities to Common Core Math and Language Arts standards.
- Management strategies for harvesting, preparing, and enjoying fresh fruits and vegetables with students.
Take home …
- An activity packet with lessons, recipes, garden kitchen resources, and links to Common Core academic standards.
- Inspiration to use a garden as an instructional tool for nutrition education.
- Strategies for success from Life Lab and from a variety of other educators engaged in this exciting work.
- Optional: unit of education credit from the University of the Pacific ($60/unit)
One of the best organized days of hands-on activities and philosophical underpinnings I've ever seen.
Plant It! Grow It! Eat It! has been very beneficial to my teaching practice. It has allowed me to validate the amount of time and activities my class spends on nutrition/garden lessons. I have been able to expand my repertoire of teaching activities. I have become more knowledgeable about nutrition and therefore have been able to connect the families a lot more easily to our goals. I have noticed that my students are taking pride in eating healthy and therefore seem more likely to continue to do so!
I feel a healthier relationship to my class when I get to teach them about what I believe in: healthy lifestyle choices.
My participation in Life Lab has … made nutrition instruction doable and fun. As I slowly "snuck" the lessons in, I realized how much fun the children were having, and how much they needed it. Now I hope to be "caught" teaching Life Lab activities. Our kids are bringing sliced cucumbers and other healthy snacks to share with their friends. This leaves me with a smile on my face.
I feel much more comfortable planting in the garden because of the support and training provided to me by your staff.
Thank you for the invaluable contribution you are making to education!
All workshops require advanced registration and deposit.
To set up a workshop for your school site, please call Life Lab Science Program at (831) 459-3833 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org