Curriculum & Online Lessons
Academic Content Standards in Garden-Based Learning
Educator Workshops, Consulting and Networking
Webinars Presented by Life Lab
Outdoor Classroom Management Tips
Life Lab’s YouTube Video Channel – over 100 videos demonstrating garden instruction, activity and Life Lab history.
The Value of Garden-Based Learning
Creating and Sustaining School Gardens
Starting a School Garden
Gardening How To’s
Life Lab’s Photo Gallery of School Garden Elements
Funding Your Garden Program
Regional Support Models for sustaining school gardens
Life Lab’s Sustaining School Gardens Articles
Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education
Garden-Enhanced Nutrition Education Resources (GENE) – an extensive list of resources used in our Plant It, Grow It, Eat It and California School Garden Training Program. Link to resources at CSGN.org created by Life Lab our CA Garden Training Partners.
Garden to Cafeteria – Sample policy and resources to support eating your school garden harvest
Spanish Language Resources
Created by Life Lab
- Life Lab Science K-5 Garden-Based Science Curriculum, The Growing Classroom Activity Guide, Kids’ Garden Activity Cards, and more at the Life Lab Store.
- View lessons, videos, and activities posted on the Life Lab blog.
- 1st -4th Grade Science Exploration Units These downloadable units are the lessons we share as part of our Science Exploration Field Trip Program
- Garden Scavenger Hunts A collection of different types of scavenger hunts that you can modify for your needs.
- “Back Pocket” Activity Videos easy to set up garden activities every garden teacher should have in their back pocket.
- View School Garden Lessons taught by veteran garden instructors at school gardens in Santa Cruz.
Other great sites to find lessons
- California School Garden Network Online Lesson Database Free resources for PreK-6th Grades and resources for Middle and High School Level.- a list, maintained by Life Lab, of hundreds of lessons from other garden-based education organizations (Have a site to add? send it on)
- Kidsgardening.org – a great site with free lessons, activities, and more, check out their diverse collection of printed publications.
- The Edible Schoolyard Research and Tool Search Function has user submitted lessons
Garden-Based Learning Literature Lists
- American Horticulture Society/Jr. Master Gardeners Growing Good Kids Book List
- GrowingMinds.org Farm to School Literature List
- Harvest of the Month Literature Links for books related to fruits and vegetables
- Life Lab’s list of literature books that are displayed at workshops
- Books in Bloom by Valerie Bang-Jensen & Mark Lubkowitz, includes 17 chapters each featuring a popular children’s book and related garden-inspired activities to help you ‘dig’ into the story in a fun way.
- Literature in the Garden by the Jr. Master Gardeners, utilizes six Growing Good Kids Book Award-winning titles to inspire learning through outdoor activities, creative expression and open exploration.
Life Lab Educator Workshops page lists all the workshops we provide
Life Lab offers consulting for your school garden team at your site or at our Garden Classroom
The California Farm to School and School Garden Event Calendar – view workshops across California
edWeb.net Growing School Gardens Community (co-hosted by Life Lab) – view school garden webinars and join the online forum
National Network of School Garden Support Organizations – join an online forum of school garden support organizations.
Life Lab’s Resources
- Purchase or download Life Lab’s Getting Started: A Guide for Creating School Gardens as Outdoor Classrooms. Also available in Spanish.
- Getting Started Chapter of The Growing Classroom
Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden Resources
- Created by Life Lab and partners, the Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden (CSYSG) website is one of the most comprehensive resources to support school gardens. View the Planning Your School Garden Program page for more resources on starting and running our your program.
A nice site with a some good ideas of theme gardens and much more. Greenheart Education
Developed by Life Lab and partners, The Creating and Sustaining Your School Garden pages are the place to find school garden skills support resources. Find extensive resources on the following
- Planning Your School Garden Program
- Designing Your School Garden
- Choosing Plants and Planting Times
- Soils and Bed Prep
- Seeding and Transplanting
- Keep It Growing Water, Weeds and Pest Control
Sustaining Your School Garden– Article from The Garden Times, Spring 2002
Summer Vacation for Your Garden– Article from the Garden Times, Spring 2003
Check our blog posts on Garden Tips and Resource
View our article on Funding Garden Coordinators.
Head over to the California School Garden Network to view their Funding School Gardens page for grant searching resources and more grant lists and much more.