Due to COVID-19 concerns, we will be postponing this workshop to a later date. If you have already registered for this workshop you will be receiving an email shortly with more details.
How can we possibly manage 30 students in an Outdoor Classroom?! Participants in this workshop will explore best practices for establishing and maintaining a positive, engaging culture of learning and fun in a garden setting. Together we will experience and discuss setting the tone for equitable and inclusive instruction; garden class routines; station rotations; and specific techniques to maximize student engagement and participation. Graduate education units available.
K-6 classroom teachers and garden educators
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- How to apply the guiding principles of responsive classroom management (Perceptions, Personal Relationships, Parameters, and Participation) in an Outdoor Classroom
- How to structure activities for success, including management of large groups, diverse tasks, tools and materials, etc.
- A packet of management strategies and participation structures to maximize engagement in the garden
- Ideas and inspiration for your school garden
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!