Why do some school gardens take root and become well-established, while others struggle? In this workshop, we will discuss key elements of building a strong school garden culture. Together, we’ll explore different, sustainable school garden program models; planning tools to align year-round garden activities with academic and garden care goals; methods for assessing garden programs; and strategies for increasing funding.
Any person or organization supporting school gardens on a programmatic scale
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- Essential elements of a resilient school garden program including: program assessment, fundraising, and garden care and upkeep
- School garden design elements to maximize engagement and minimize effort
- Getting Started: A Guide for Creating School Gardens as Outdoor Classrooms
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!
Graduate Education Credit Availble