Your Hosts: Sandy 831 750 7115 • John 831 471 7831 • Whitney 831 428 2064
2016 SGSO Leadership Institue Documents (Key Actviitity Resource Folders, Key Actvity Working Group Templates, Your Site’s PD Planning Sheet, etc.)
Can’t access?? Text John at 8314717831 with your google user account emaill
COMPLETE BY MONDAY 12/5 AM SGSO Pre-Participation Survey – one survey per team, answer as a team if you came with a team other
Institute Feed and Multimedia
Also view #sgsoinstitute feed on Instagram
Getting Here and Preparation Logistics
1. Institute Agenda – We will have a printed agenda for you upon arrival. Note the pink text which summarizes what you will need related to particular agenda topics.
We recently learned that we will not be able to access our retreat meeting room until 3pm and our lodging rooms will not be available until 4pm. Some of you may be arriving earlier. In that case you have options to poke around a bit in the city you land in, drive into Santa Cruz and say hi to the Pacific Ocean, or arrive to the retreat center before 3 and take a stroll in the redwoods. Feel free to call one of the hosts listed above for suggestions.
Check in at Mission Spring in the Fireside Lounge starts at 3pm.
We will gather at 5pm on Sunday to begin our agenda.
2. Pre-Institute Homework To make the most of our gathering we’d like you to take the time to do the following before we meet:
Come to the Institute prepared to give a 5-minute introduction to your organization. If you are using Powerpoint slides, please limit to no more than 5 slides. You can bring slides on a jump drive when you arrive on Sunday or email them prior to 12/4 to Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org. See details of what we are looking for you to share in your presentation on Monday of the institute agenda.
Come prepared to share your best practices and favorite resources for training garden educators and resources/ideas on our 5 SGSO Key Activities. If any of your very favorite resources are not digital, please bring hard copies for people to see. The Key Activities we’ll focus on are:
- Identifying and Measuring Our Impact
- Regional Networking
- Models for Financial / Program Sustainability
- Professional Development Models
- Designing, Building, and Maintaining Multiple School Gardens
Get your social accounts ready to “flirt” with us! Use #sgsoinstitute to tag your posts
If you find the time you may wish to read about the organizations that will be attending
- Wanna see who’s gonna be at the institute? View the participant roster.
- View details about the organizations that will be attending on this lengthy SGSO Participant Organization Bios Document (great plane reading material!)
3. Items to Pack:
- Personal Toiletries
- Attire for changing weather. We expect daytime 60s and evenings in the low 40s. Rain is definitely possible.
- Sun hat and good walking shoes for the garden and forest
- Laptop computers, we will be creating documents using google docs (wifi will be available in some areas of the conference center)
- Note-taking supplies
- Appropriate chargers for your devices
- Travel Mug and/or Water Bottle
4. Transportation to Retreat Center You should have received an email from Sandy Lansdale email@example.com regarding transportation from the airport to Mission Springs. If you have not or have any questions on transporting yourself from the airport to Mission Springs please connect with Sandy 831 750-7115. The car rental company said that all drivers can be listed to use the car for no additional cost so please have all your drivers list themselves as drivers of the car. We have also been informed that we need to pay the $12/per day insurance for the vehicle. Please have one of your carpool mates pay and submit reimbursement with Sandy.
Mission Springs is located at 1050 Lockhart Gulch Rd, Scotts Valley, CA 95066 Map it here
- San Jose Airport to Mission Springs is about 40 minutes without traffic which there shouldn’t be too much of on Sunday afternoon or Friday between 9am and 1pm
- San Francisco Airport to Mission Springs is a little over an hour’s drive without traffic which there shouldn’t be too much of on Sunday afternoon or Friday between 9am and 1pm