Spend a day looking at the garden through the eyes of a young child. Using a variety of Life Lab resources, including, Sowing the Seeds of Wonder activity guide for early childhood, participants in this workshop will sample activities designed to encourage young children to learn about the world using their senses. We will practice basic gardening and cooking skills; discuss safe and age-appropriate garden design; and learn garden art projects and songs. Together we will experience and discuss creating a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be successful and feel empowered to act in positive ways. Graduate education unit available.
Preschool and early elementary school teachers and garden educators
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- Lessons that introduce young children to the properties of soil, seeds, plants, and animals.
- Songs and books that connect to garden lessons. Hear some of our songs.
- Gardening design elements and techniques that are specifically effective for young children.
- Sowing the Seeds of Wonder, a 120-page activity guide for children ages 3-6
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!